Monday, June 20, 2011

Another Day at the Hospital

My mom and I had stomach flu due to a Sponge Gourd or Luffa Actangula (which we locally call Patola) we ate for lunch last Sunday.


This was the second (or nth?) time we were victimized by this vegetable. I'm not 100% sure it's the patola but it most probably is. It's refreshing to eat with noodles and soup, but I dont know what's in it or what causes the upset stomach. This time as well as the previous time(s), it was an overly mature patola.

There was a funny bitter taste to the patola noodle soup we ate last Sunday which is unusual since patola should be a little sweet tasting. My mom thought it was the chicken liver which was an ingredient of the soup. I love chicken liver but I didnt eat it thinking it was what's causing the bitter taste. When I'm almost done, I tried a bit of the chicken liver and found out that it's not what's causing the bitter taste.

6 hours after eating lunch, I felt something funny with my tummy. I decided not to eat the patola noodle soup for dinner and told my mom what happened to me. She said it's still good and went on to eat it. Then, the nightmare came lol.

This time was doubly hard since I'm feeling sick myself but have to tend to her as well. Good thing that we just stayed for a little less than a day at the hospital and both of us are feeling better.

All in all, it's a tiring, expensive day but I'm still glad we're now back at home. Hopefully, this will be a lesson not to be 'too thrifty' where food is concerned.

No comments: